2011年6月25日 星期六

Day 13 - ICSP @ Camp Grimes

I had a great achievement with my English speaking, hooray!!

I helped the merit badge for Citizenship in the world today, because one of the requirements is the scout needs to talk to a scout from another country about his/her culture/holiday/food/value, etc. I introduced Taiwan to them basically. I thought I only gave them a very short introduction, but I found out I could keep talking for 50 minutes! Wow! In total, I had 4 sections of introduction with different scouts, which means I have practiced my speaking for almost 4 hours. That's impressive!

I didn't know what to say in the beginning, for I thought SCOUTS would ask questions. But no? Okay! I introduced Taiwan from Geography to culture, political status, holidays, and much more. For the first section, I didn't prepare any visual material to enhance their impression of Taiwan. I then took out the stuff with Taiwan's special (Taipei 101, national flag, flower...) I bought in 2010 Taipei Int'l Floral Expo to appeal their attention. In fact, the stuff worked very well! Kids asked me more questions, and we also have better and better interaction! Next week, I will try to prepare more in advance, like the "Unit conversion" and more statistic facts, or even some films!

In the afternoon, I chatted with Bill and Billy (盲胞童軍). Bill said because of Billy, he started to stop to think what is more important in his life. Job? or Company with Billy and discover the beauty of the world? I was touched. So many people lived without happiness and enjoyment. Why? Maybe because they have their jobs at the top of the priority... They loved to travel, and they have traveled many countries and have listed a LONG to-do list. I wish they could come to visit Taiwan in the near future!

Tonight would be the last night of the camp, which means campers parents would visit the camp, and the kitchen would run out of food in very short time. Yap, nothing fun to eat, errrrrr! I went back to cook my instant noodles instead... Poor me...:-(

At 8 was the closing camp fire. before it started, an man came to talk ma in Mandarin! He was born in China and had been living in Hualien in Taiwan for almost 20 years. That's why he could speak very fluent Mandarin. To my surprise, he was at the same age of my grandma, but he still remembered how to say. Awesome!!!
The camp fire was held at the side of the lake. I loved the show about Imitating John especially. That's so funny!!!! Hahahaha! Don't say "Announcement, points, or notes" at the Camp Grimes, otherwise... Kkkkkkk! The sunset was amazingly beautiful. A beaver swam casually through the lake. Fireflies held their small lanterns to celebrate this happy ending.
                                     Trailblazars and me!

沒有留言:

張貼留言