2011年6月22日 星期三

Day 11 - ICSP @ Camp Grimes

Today was Crazy Sun Glasses Day! Everyone wore funny glasses! (Yesterday was Crazy Hat Day)

Morning
I was told I should teach orienteering 20 minutes later. What? I thought we would learn knots and chopping today! Anyway, I tried to find required teaching materials from our poor teaching resources room ASAP. I didn't have everything I wanted, which made me stressed, "how can I teach without enough materials??". I was really nervous and didn't know what I was talking about in the beginning. I had a bearings game first. Second, I talked about the maps, like how to read a map and how to orient a map. I tried to explain as clear as possible with my poor English. However, maybe my speaking speed was too slow, the kids became sleepy. They turned to be alive until we had a small map legend/symbol competition. In short, I should speak faster; I should collect enough teaching materials before teaching, like paper, pens, camp maps, white board markers, corns, white newspaper, etc.; I should have more games and questions to the kids... Anyway, I have had a start, good for me! Nice job, Ching-Pei!

-Rundown for orienteering:
Introduction-Why should we learn orienteering?
Bearings game
What is a map? What can you see on a map?
Legend/symbol game
How to orient a map? Drawing your own map game
Knowing your compass. Something you can do and something you can't do with your compass.
Measure the bearings (practice one by one)
How to orient a map with your compass? (practice)
Closing and prize ceremony

After the orienteering, we had our chopping class, which the kids loved and expected most. I realized that USA had so many rules for using a pocket knife, a sawand an ax. To me, it was just complicated and confusing. I couldn't remember the different names and functions for knives and axes... In the end of the class, I also asked the kids to clean the surroundings up. I said, "Try to make the place better than you found it!" To my surprise, other staff was very happy that I announced this ( then we don't need to clean hard tomorrow morning!), and There were also quite many volunteers to sweep the floors! Good boys!

Lunch
I had a small interview by a blind kid and his father today. I was touched that the kid was keen to know my background and my story. He also told me that he would like to be in any international staff program when he turns 18. He was so strong and positive! Good job, Billy!
They went swimming in the afternoon. They had a very great time in the water. They tossed a ball to each other and swam within the beginner area... Waht a nice picture! He did have a very nice father to company and instruct him!

Afternoon
Water, water! I was lazy to put on sun screen... I would become dark anyhow. XDDDDDD I floated on an air bed. I kept moving my arms in order to get rid of my "butterfly upper arms!" (hopefully!) 

Evening
Because of the heavy rain, we canceled the outdoor activities. In stead, we had a small show at the Open Shelter with FREE ice cream! We had a great magic show, sweet songs, and nice instruments playing... What a lovely evening~~~

4 則留言:

  1. Amanda, you have a beach with sand - maybe you can use that to teach the kids contours - you can draw some contours, valley, hills, etc, and have the kids in groups dig the land to match your map, or the other way around, have them build some quick hills, valleys, and then draw a map... ;)

    回覆刪除
  2. Thanks for the idea! We do have sands and a beach here, but they are far away from our teaching place, maybe 20 minutes to go... I will try to figure it out.

    回覆刪除