2011年6月20日 星期一

Day 09 - ICSP @ Camp Grimes

More storms came this morning! Gloomy Monday... +"+

Later on, we started to meet and to teach our small campers. Unlike 國中童軍營,we didn't have any game or something special to split out the patrols, which let me feel a little bit pity. Maybe I could do something fun next week? (Need to prepare more for my English teaching... TAT~~) T and I had almost 30 campers this week. They are all 11 or 10 years old. In my opinion, they did have very god control and discipline. We talked about first aid the whole morning, and they just kept answering our questions and got involved in the courses. Wow! Brilliant! I didn't teach very much today. I couldn't talk like a machine gun as my buddy did. When it was my turn, in order not to talk so much (I really couldn't make it. Too many terms.), I got an idea. I split them into even small groups, and I gave each of them different topic(such as, blisters, small cuts and scalds, snakebite, stings, minor burn, frostbite, sunburn and so on.)  to discuss with each other. After five minutes, they needed to come to the stage to tell everyone their conclusion. That's great, wasn't it? I didn't need to say so much. They got chances to review what they have learned. They learned how to give a speech in front of everyone. And, they also learned more by being questioned by other people. Anyway, for this week, I could do like this. I just need to memorize more for the coming week, so that I can handle more fluently.

Emergency Drill of LSS
Everyone is required to do this every Monday before the lunch. Once they have done this, they know what to do whenever they hear the warning alert.

Waterfront
In the afternoon, campers visit the lake according to their shift. We staff then had to WATCH them swimming. There were two shifts in the afternoon, so we kept in the water for two hours. The water was colder than last week though, G and I finally rested at the bank. G started to dig the sand. Guess what? He got clams! Awesome! the golden one! How come! Here in the lake! We collected a lot, and I almost wanted to cook the clam soup in the staff lodge...

Evening Assembly
When it comes to dinner, everyone has to dress up with their uniform. After the flag ceremony, I was introduced to all the campers. I said welcome to say 你好 instead of Hello and KONICHIWA (I have been thought I am from Thailand, Vietnam, and here you go, Japan!) when they see me. I heard 你好 everywhere then. :-D

Evening course was COPE. Rock climbing, Zip-line gliding and Belay. I observed the Belay carefully to see how they did. Basically, they did the same as I do in school. I just need to purchase more helmets and gloves to let the climbers and the person who helps on belay have more protection. Then, it should be Okay. One leader suggested one of the climber's hands should put behind the bottom to be the self/natural break. It could be an idea. Otherwise, you just ask someone else to do the lower check (The rope should wind through the person's left hand to back waist and out of the wight hand.).

1 則留言:

  1. How about poison ivy, I take it you were introduced to it so you can stay away? If you have an allergic reaction to it, boy, that is no fun at all...

    回覆刪除